Mambo Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Servings: 8 as appetizer; 4 as entrée
Active Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 min
- 2 lbs raw jumbo shrimp (at least 16/20), peeled and deveined
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Canola oil, as needed
- 1/3 cup mambo sauce, plus additional for serving.
- In a separate bowl, toss peeled shrimp with salt, spices, lemon zest and baking soda. Refrigerate for one hour. Meanwhile, soak wooden skewers in water to prevent scorching.
- Preheat grill for high heat, or a cast iron grill pan until just shy of smoking. Toss marinated shrimp with a couple tablespoons of canola oil to coat. Skewer shrimp, pushing the wood through from head to tail so that the shrimp is secure.
- Brush grill grates with oil. Place as many skewers down that will fit in one layer across the grates.
- Baste the tops of the shrimp with a light coating of mambo sauce while the other side grills. After one minute, flip the shrimp and baste the grilled side.
- Continue flipping and basting until shrimp is opaque, cooked through and charred in spots, about 3 to 4 minutes total depending on the size of the shrimp. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp. Squeeze lemon juice over the cooked shrimp before taking them off the grill.
- Repeat with remaining batches, transferring cooked shrimp to serving platter. Discard any unused basting sauce. Serve grilled shrimp with additional mambo sauce on the side, if desired.